Wednesday, September 29, 2004

On the topic of personal development

"Between a stimulus and a response lies freedom of choice" some quote by a famous dude who survived Auschwitz.. that's what I was told by our personal development facilitator at a recent workshop I attended. I must say.. it was quite insightful. I've never considered that I had freedom of choice ... well not since I got hitched anyway.

So the company sends me off for 2 days of "training" which equated to around 8 hours sitting on my butt listening to how my amygdala's get to hijack my rational thought processes to cause me to flail around with my fists, running my legs off in flight or stand there in stasis frozen by fear. (Amygdala's are two almond shaped gland thingy behind your ears). Also.. I've been told that my true happy, child-self is somewhat hidden behind my fears, my regrets, my anger, my shields and my so-called poker professional bright eyed and busy tailed smiling face..Hmmm... and I always thought that I, me and myself were the only inhabitants between the ears, now I've got the Amygdalas and all these pent-up emotions that is just bursting to take control of me. Golly geee.. where's the prozac? I'm getting depressed to think I have to eat for all these fragments of my psyche.

Speaking of eating.. the food served was fair dinkum good. We had this held at a hotel, one of the better ones too if I dare say so.. and to top it off, after lunch we have meditation sessions.. Ommmmmmmmm listen to my breathing... Ommmmmmmm listen to my stomach purring...... Ommmmmmmmmmm shit I need to hit the porcelain throne after that lunch.

Anyway.. I came back feeling refreshed and finding all my inner creativity has been unleashed upon an unsuspecting world. Quite scary as I believe I have one of those psyches if psyches were people, I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley in a moonless night. So personal development.. does it work? Yes. How does it work? Take 2 bottles of ice filtered lagers with a couple of aspirins and if your attitude still needs adjustments come by in the morning and I'll hit you with my cricket bat.

Ahhhhhhhh... now excuse me while I go do some meditation on the type of medication I'm supposed to take to suppress my inner child and unleash the cold blooded cynic in me ;)


No comments: